AMTA Iowa Chapter Policy Manual
Policies in effect for all Executive Board of Directors, Committee Chairs & Delegates.
(Updated January 2018)
Table of Contents
Policies Regarding Reimbursement ———1 & 2
Policies Regarding State conventions————3
Policies Regarding Newsletter———————-4
Policies Regarding Iowa Chapter Delegates—-5
Policies Regarding Officer Responsibilities—-6
Policies Regarding Iowa Chapter Website——7
Policies Regarding Finance Policy—————- 9
The AMTA Iowa Chapter Policies are developed by the Iowa Chapter Board of Directors. All AMTA Chapter Board of Directors is allowed to develop Policies specific to each Chapters needs. The AMTA National By-laws and the Iowa Chapter Standing Rules contain information that is in conjunction with these Policies and must also be consulted to ensure proper procedure.
Policies Regarding Reimbursement
1. Mileage reimbursement is based on the rate used by the most current IRS guidelines. The AMTA Iowa Chapter requires the board members to show proof of mileage of the most direct route to and from an AMTA function in the form of MapQuest Google etc. for verification.
2. Room expenses for Iowa Chapter Conventions will be reimbursed in full based on the “Group Rate” amount (plus Taxes) for room rental as per written contract with the hotel. Should a Board Member choose to upgrade their room from the “Group Rate” they will be personally responsible for the difference in that upgrade and any applicable taxes to make such an upgrade.
(a) A BOD member may have lodging/room alone and receive full reimbursement in accordance with chapter policy.
(b) A BOD member may have members of their immediate family share their lodging/room at no cost to the family member(s) except is the case of additional fees other than taxes charged to the room bill by hotel, room inhabitants, or visitors. These additional charges include, but are not limited to: room service, telephone calls, bar charges, etc. Extra service fees are not reimbursable through chapter funds.
(c) Should a BOD member have a family member(s) who is also an AMTA member, an LMT, or otherwise/nonmember in attendance at the AMTA event and choose to share their room that person, the BOD member shall be reimbursed only for their personal portion of the lodging/room cost in accordance with chapter policy. The balance of the room expense will be covered by guests sharing the room.
(d) If a BOD member(s) chooses to share their lodging/room with any non-board member(s), the room expense shall be equally divided among all persons sharing the lodging/room. The BOD member(s) are entitled to reimbursement only for their portion of the room in accordance with chapter policy.
(e) The above policies shall cover any event including but not limited to the local chapter convention, National convention, and BOD retreats and events.
3. Meal expenses for Iowa Chapter Convention will be up to but not to exceed $30.00 per day. The AMTA Iowa Chapter will cover the cost of the Board Dinner for Board Members, Presenters, Teaching Assistance as well as anyone pre-approved by the board prior to the dinner.
4. Telephone expenses for long distance charges related to AMTA business will be reimbursed. Copies of the bill need to be attached to the form and related calls highlighted and totaled.
5. Miscellaneous expenses related to AMTA business such as: copies, postage, supplies, etc. will be reimbursed when submitted within the fiscal year of incurrence.
6. Committee members will be reimbursed for preapproved expenses related to AMTA business with the approval of the committee chair. All requests for reimbursement under this policy must have committee chair signature for approval and be submitted to Treasurer with receipts attached to reimbursement form. It is the responsibility of the chair to orientate their committee members on this policy.
7. President, Delegates, and the First Alternate Delegate elected to attend the National Convention shall be reimbursed the full cost of expenses related to attending the National Convention, which may include hotel, convention-related transportation, convention registration, meals and tips. Other expenses may be covered if directly pertaining to the attendance of the National Convention, upon approval of the AMTA Iowa Chapter Board of Directors. Reimbursement cannot exceed $1,500 per Delegate, First Alternate and $2,000 for the President.
8. Reimbursement forms and receipts for all AMTA State and National Conventions must be properly filled out and submitted to the Chapter Treasurer within 60 days of that convention.
9. Approved reimbursement forms received before the 1st of the month will be paid by the 15th. Approved reimbursement forms received by the 15th of the month will be paid by the 31st of the month.
10. All financial reimbursement will be closed at the end of each fiscal year. Current fiscal year runs March 1st to the last day of February.
11. All elected Delegates and the First Alternate Delegate are allowed a budget per year as stated in the current years’ budget for Chapter-related expenses. The budget is to be used for travel, hotels, meals, office, postage, printing and phone/fax in direct relationship to conveying information to the Board of Directors and Members, in accordance with all Chapter Reimbursement Policies. The Delegates may choose to share the expense. The Delegates shall not use any of the budgeted amounts for fees or expenses to National Convention.
12. The AMTA Iowa Chapter will offer up to $1,000 expense allowance to any member that has achieved 25 years of continuous membership to the AMTA Iowa Chapter as per National membership standards. The purpose of this funding is to attend National Convention for the year in which the 25 years was achieved. The Chapter Membership Chair will contact and inform the member of this achievement at their 24th anniversary. Should the Board of Directors determine at any time that the budget does not allow for this expense the Board maintains the right to decrease the amount or bypass the allowance until which time the budget is secure enough to provide the funding. This expense allowance is to assist with travel, meals, hotel, and AMTA National Convention registration. The reimbursement will be distributed as per AMTA Policies.
13. The AMTA Iowa Chapter will offer up to $1,000 per person and not to exceed a total of $6,000 expense allowance to any elected board member for the purpose to attend National Convention. This expense allowance is to assist with hotel, convention-related transportation, convention registration, meals and tips. The reimbursement will be distributed as per AMTA policy. If an elected board member holds another position in the AMTA Iowa Chapter, which provides funding for National Convention, this expense allowance will not be available. Any elected member interested in receiving these funds must prepare and deliver a written request to the AMTA Iowa Chapter President no later than June 1st of the current year. The Board of Directors may determine at any time that the budget will not allow for this expense. Should the Chapter budget be in question, the AMTA Iowa Board of Directors maintains the right to decrease the amount or bypass the allowance until which time the budget is secure enough to provide the funding. All elected board members attending National Convention and using Iowa Chapter funds will be expected to participate in the convention in a way beneficial to the Iowa Chapter. Included in the responsibilities are attending tasks as assigned by the AMTA Iowa President.
BREAKDOWN OF REIMBURSEMENT
Chapter Leadership Training 50%
Committee meeting (s) 25-50%
Other meetings as assigned
By Chapter President 0-25%
Should an elected Board member not fulfill the listed responsibilities there will be a reduction in the allowance available as indicated. Should the Board member suffer from injury or illness while attending National Convention, the member must contact the Chapter President immediately to allow for coverage of the assigned task by another member. The AMTA Iowa Board of Directors may make individual considerations for reimbursement if written documentation for such request is made by the member within 10 days of returning home from National Convention. Should an elected member choose not to attend, funds may be dispersed among committee chairs who wish to attend. The above mentioned responsibilities shall pertain to all who attend.
14. The AMTA Iowa Chapter allows advancements for reimbursement expenses to attend the AMTA National Convention as follows:
Requests for advancement of funds must be made in writing and submitted to the Chapter Treasurer and receive Board of Directors approval. The request must be made no later than the September Board meeting in the year in which the convention is held. The advancements shall be limited to 80% of individuals’ budgeted amount. The advancement is to be used but not limited to hotel, convention-related transportation, convention registration, meals and tips. Should the amount (80%) of said individuals expenses not reach the 80% amount in airfare hotel, registration, meals, etc., the remaining balance up to the 80% amount may be advanced for qualified incidental expenses.
Receipts for all expenses must be submitted to the Chapter Treasurer as stated in the Chapter Policy.
The individual requesting the advancement of funds must be a member in good standing with the National and State Associations. Any individual receiving an advancement of funds who fails to comply with Chapter Policy may be subject to the following upon Board review and discussion:
Removal from office in the AMTA Iowa Chapter.
A Misc. 1099 will be issued for non-reimbursable expenditures or expenses for which no valid receipt is presented. Prosecuted by any and all legal remedies available.
Actions as determined by the Board of Directors. Any individual receiving an advancement of funds shall agree to and sign the following AMTA Iowa Chapter statement:
I have read and understand that an advancement of funds is to be used for only reimbursable items related to attending National Convention such as hotel, convention-related transportation, convention registration, meals and tips. I understand that the advancement means that all receipts for the reimbursable items must be submitted to the Treasurer within 60 days of the National Convention. Should the advancement amount be more than the receipts, I understand that I am responsible to pay the remaining amount to the AMTA Iowa Chapter within 60 days of National Convention. I have read and understand the “failure to comply” clause in policy Section A – Policies Regarding Reimbursement #14-6 and agree to be subjected to one or all of the possible repercussions should I not follow any and all of the policies of Section A – Policies Regarding Reimbursement.
Policies Regarding AMTA Iowa Chapter Conventions
1. The term “student” is defined as a person who is currently enrolled in Massage Therapy School at the time of registration. Registration includes receipt of full payment and completed registration form.
2. Chapter Convention fees shall be waived for Executive Board of Directors, Committee Chairs, elected Delegates and 1st Alternate of the AMTA Iowa Chapter House of Delegates. Individuals must register 30 days prior to convention.
3. AMTA Iowa Chapter Convention registration refund Policy is as follows; A $20.00 processing fee will be charged if written cancellation is postmarked one week (7) day prior to convention. Refunds cannot be given if cancellation is postmarked after that date, except in the event of an emergency. Any written documented emergency cancellation received after the deadline may be up to 50% of the registration fee with approval of the Iowa Chapter Board of Directors. Documentation must be received within 10 days of the convention.
4. Iowa AMTA Chapter members are allowed to attend business meetings free of charge. They will be required to pay for the meal, if they choose to eat.
Policies Regarding Newsletter
1. The AMTA Chapter shall publish a newsletter four times per year. The Third Vice President shall be the Newsletter Editor. The Editor will have final editorial jurisdiction, as the Third Vice President is elected by the membership to serve in this capacity.
2. All deadline dates are printed in the each newsletter for the year. If an article is submitted after the deadline date it will be up to the Editor to choose if and when the article will be published. Any articles submitted late from the Board of Directors may be published in the following newsletter. Anyone is welcome to submit an article.
Policies Regarding AMTA Iowa Delegates
1. Delegates and First Alternate Delegate elected to attend the National Convention are required to attend Chapter Leadership training, House of Delegates Preliminary Meeting, House of Delegates Meetings. Per Presidents’ request, Delegates and First Alternate Delegate will attend Committee meetings and/or Presidents Council meetings.
2. Delegates are required to report back to the membership regarding activities and business conducted at National Convention. A written report summarizing the events at National Convention must be submitted to the Board prior to the end of the term. Delegates would also submit this report to the Third Vice President for publication in the newsletter. According to National By-Laws the term of office runs January 1st through December 31st.
3. All Delegates and First Alternate Delegate elected to represent the AMTA Iowa Chapter at the National Convention will be required to sign a written agreement outlining expectations as determined by the AMTA Iowa Board of Directors. Should a Delegate or First Alternate Delegate not fulfill the listed responsibilities the Delegate will not receive the full reimbursement amount listed in Section A #7 Policies regarding reimbursement. Should a Delegate or First Alternate Delegate NOT attend the assigned tasks the Delegate would lose that percentage of Delegate reimbursement as determined by the Board of Directors. Should a Delegate or First Alternate Delegate suffer from an injury or illness while attending the National Convention, the Delegate must contact the Chapter President immediately to allow for coverage of the assigned task by another member. In the case of incapacity of the Delegate or First Alternate Delegate, the AMTA Iowa Board of Directors may make individual consideration for reimbursement if written documentation for such a request is made by the Delegate within 10 days of returning home from National Convention.
4. The AMTA Iowa Chapter will send the First Alternate Delegate to the National Convention. The First Alternate Delegate must fulfill all the Delegate responsibilities, as stated in the Delegate information packet and in accordance with AMTA By-Laws and Policies.
5. All Delegates and First Alternate Delegate may request reimbursement prior to the National Convention for the expense of travel and convention fee.
6. All Delegates and First Alternate Delegate are required to attend 75% of all Board of Directors meetings during their elected term.
Policies Related to Officers Responsibilities
1. All Board members and Committee Chairs are required to submit a proposed budget for the following year and shall have these submitted at the January Board meeting.
2. The Immediate Past President Position shall be a voting member of the AMTA Board of Directors.
3. All Executive Board members and Committee Chairs are required to pass on all inventory items and related information to their successor within 30 days post election. The outgoing Board member/Committee Chairs will be responsible for planning the transfer of items. Any person failing to meet the 30-day requirement will be subject to the following disciplinary action:
1. The Treasurer will hold any reimbursement due to the existing Board member until all items are transferred.
2. Will be required to pay replacement cost for the items.
3. May have a complaint filed against them to be reviewed by the National Grievance Commission.
4. All Board members and Committee Chairs are required to submit a complete and up to date list of inventory items to the Treasurer at the January Board meeting. The inventory lists shall be reviewed and accounted for during the transfer from outgoing Board member to incoming Board member.
Policies Regarding Iowa Chapter Website
1. The Iowa Chapter Website Committee will consist of the President and two
other members of the Board (elected or appointed). In the event there are
not Board members available for this Committee, the President may appoint
from the general membership.
2. All submissions for the Website must be submitted to the Website
Committee through email or US mail. All submissions received by the 1st
of the month will have action by this Committee by the 15th of the same
month. All submissions received by the 15th of the month shall have action
by this Committee by the 1st of the next month. Upon majority approval by
the Committee, the Committee will then submit the items(s) to the
webmaster for inclusion on the website.
3. The set up and monthly maintenance to the Website shall come out of the
Website Committee budget. The amount paid to the Webmaster shall not
exceed $400 for any one year period without Board approval.
Iowa Chapter Finance Policies
1. To become compliant with the new AMTA National Chapter Finance Policy,
The AMTA Iowa Chapter will utilize the National Office for inputting all
transactions made on the Account into QuickBooks and generating of all
required financial statements for the Chapter. The Chapter will retain the
position of Treasurer. The Immediate Past President will open, review, and
initial all chapter financial account statements.